Sustainable living involves practices which help make the best possible use of limited resources.
The following list includes simple ways to live more sustainably:
- Visit local farmer’s markets to find locally sourced fruits, vegetables, baked goods and other foods.
- Utilize kitchen scraps as compost. Coffee grounds, tea bags, fruit and vegetable trimmings and peelings, stale bread and egg shells can all be composted and added to garden soils.
- Seek out and buy local sustainable seafood where available; Tidewater area vendors offer fish, shrimp, clams, oysters and other seafood.
- Learn to utilize more of the foods we buy. Scraps can be used to make broths and stocks which in turn are a low cost way to flavor vegetables, soups, and chowders. The tender remains from stock making can feed pets or be composted.
- Brew your own drinks. Making coffee, tea, lemonade and other drinks is not only simple to do, but saves wasteful packaging.
- Always pack for trips. Bring ice, a reusable container of water or other drinks and snacks.
Published: May 13, 2010 | Updated: January 30, 2018